Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Week 5

Assg.1

I chose to monitor Mystery Readers International and Stop, You're Killing Me!

MRI was not a good choice. It's a commercial site that requires paid membership in order to access the information. This site is geared toward book store owners rather than readers.

Stop, You're Killing Me! was a better choice.

It:   
    -lists new titles in all formats

    -lists award winners
  
    - has great indices:
           genre
           historical
           character

This site is a good reader's advisory resource.

Assg.2: Early Word

     I liked the current information in the body of the newsletter. Also liked the NPR and Indie Next Bestseller links.
     Movies and tv shows based on books is a good resource and I'll continue to monitor theses.
     Not so thrilled with the links to review sources that list old reviews - caveat: I grab PW, LJ and Booklist when they arrive in the branch so I have already read the posted reviews.

Assg.3: Early Word - highly anticipated titles

    I found it hard to apply appeal factors to titles I hadn't read(lots of the titles on the list are no longer "anticipated.")
    There were several reviews and blurbs that did give appeal factors - one was The Dinner- descriptors used gave an idea of what type of reader might enjoy the book - " family", "chilling," "shocking," and "unputdownable". I have read this title so I found the appeal factors on target and would give this to an reader who likes literary but fast moving fiction.

Another was Madness Underneath described as a teen thriller that is "sinister and fun." I would suggest this to a young adult who likes thrillers with a dose of humor and not so much blood and gore.

   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment